Thursday, September 21, 2006

La Carne Grill
340 Lexington Avenue (between 39th and 40th)

Oh goodness, this was a bad choice to start this blog. I had dinner there last night as it was a few blocks walk from home, and it was a really bad choice. From the moment I walked in I felt this would be a disaster. I had read other reviews on-line (which I don't take seriously too often), but it was foreboding.

The service was fine, though they were totally overstaffed and most of the wait staff just loitered around chatting with the lack of customers this Wednesday evening. The main appeal of this place is that it is a kosher steakhouse -- and from what I gathered, that is the only appeal of the place. I think even strict adherers of kosher dietary rules should avoid this place.

The prime rib I ordered was nothing special. It was a bone-in piece with a stranger-than-usual cut (that covered a few other cuts than the rib-eye) and was nowhere near the 20oz size they scared me with. The steak was significantly smaller and the bone was excessive.

The flavour of the steak was again nothing special. The cooking was uneven; I had ordered medium rare and got one side at medium well and the other at the correct medium-rare (unfortunately I had started on the medium well side). Whenever a steakhouse brings out various sauces to use, it tells me the quality of the meat is not up to scratch -- and it was a mediocre piece of meat.

The vegetable selection (seasonal) was pretty lame and cooked badly. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an offering from the microwave. Tasteless and of poor quality. I had wanted to avoid my usual fave of spinach at this meal (since I don't know where their source is with this recent e.Coli outbreak), and this was a mistake.

I do have to say the cappuccino cake was excellent. I usually do not take dessert with my meals, but this time I did and it was worth it -- the best part of the meal (those who know me would say that is most unusual for me to say). But that reflects on how mediocre the rest of the meal was.

Frankly, this place is over-priced and of poor quality for that high cost. The cooking had "cooking school" written all over it rather than a serious steakhouse. That is just sad, a place that lacked imagination and creativity. And frankly, it is a waste of money.

Food: C-
Atmosphere: C+
For Lone Diners: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home