Friday, September 29, 2006

Ureña
37 East 28th Street (between Park and Madison)

With so many good Spanish dining spots around town, I wonder how I got talked into dinner last Friday night by a good friend of mine at Ureña. As we walked in, I figured it would be at least a good experience -- the atmosphere was relaxed and not stiff, a bit of Iberian casualness that made Spanish dining as rich as French but as enjoyable as Italian.

I will admit that the menu was a little disappointing. There seems to be no tapas list -- just a daily chef's creation. Nice touch, but I rather see what I order -- especially tapas. The tasting menu had so many dishes not on the main menu it was frustrating. Nevertheless the menu looked appetising.

I wasn't all that hungry, so I only had a main dish -- el cochinillo. Basically sucking pig, it was done nicely but nothing too spectacular. It was a bit too "Americanised" in its presentation and cut (in London if you want to enjoy good cochinillio the place is El Pirata in Mayfair). Good, but not special -- like this rich dish should be.

Overall this is a nice little spot if you want some good Spanish food. However, if you really want a treat and have a really enjoyable Iberian experience, there are other choices in Midtown (such as El Pote or Alcala).

Food: B
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home