Sunday, August 12, 2007

E.U.
235 East 4th Street (between A & B)

I am a little biased when it comes to eating at E.U. and I don't always write reviews when I come here for that reason -- but this time it was special, and I had to do it. My friend, chef Akhtar Nawab, put on a masterpiece for me and a friend and it was just spectacular...

It was Wednesday evening, the day of New York's subway mayhem and the day of the humidity-from-hell. Nevertheless, I walked all the way down from near Grand Central and was nearly dead as I arrived. Thank goodness for the sangria in my hands seconds later...

For starters me and my friend split two -- the pickled tongue was just excellent, with the right flavour and texture. It certainly had more content than when I was at nearby Hearth. The second starter was the Parisian gnocchi with crab. Excellent taste. All this with a very nice salad, full of beets. We were ready for the masterpiece now.

The reason we went down there was the spectacle of suckling pig. Nawab roasted several pigs and we received a sizeable portion -- from rib cuts to loins. He expertly marinated and roasted the pigs, and served wonderful portions. It was almost too much...mmm...

A few drinks later and good conversation continued to flow, but it was late, so I had to make my exit. It was a wonderful dining experience, and it just puts more confidence in me in this excellent chef. I shall elaborate in future postings...

Food: A
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: A- (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home