Saturday, July 07, 2007

Molyvos
871 7th Avenue (between 55th & 56th)

I've not had Greek food for several weeks since my Brussels journey (long story), but I love Greek food -- even before my college days living above the wonderful kitchen of the Souvlaki House in Ithaca... So when my friend suggested Molyvos for lunch, I was rather keen.

However, after the previous night's dinner at its sister restaurant Abboccato, I was a bit worried about another fit of blandness. But when I got to Molyvos, I felt comfortable. The space was large and decorated minimally, and it was obviously a bigger production. While I waited for my friend I had a nice glass of wine from Santorini.

We ended up sharing a grilled octopus starter, which was rather good -- very flavourful, thank goodness. Service was rather quick too, which was appreciated.

For the main course I had the lamb sandwich. This turned out to be excellent and flavourful. It was nothing like the poor rendition I had at brunch at Parea a week earlier, this was nice. My friend had the lamb chops, and he said it was quite good (compared to my dining partner's lamb from Abboccato that was a relief).

We had split a baklava for dessert with some espresso before taking off. This was a good experience, and maybe this also shows what Abboccato can do on a good day. Well, we'll see...

Food: B
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home