Saturday, June 16, 2007

Pittypat's Porch
25 Andrew Young International Blvd NW (between Spring & Peachtree, Atlanta; near Peachtree Center MARTA)

Oh, goodness, can you say "tourist trap" a thousand times loudly? I was led to believe Pittypat's Porch was a good Southern restaurant by various people, and goodness, were they bloody wrong... This was one of the worst dining experiences I've had in ages.

I didn't want to go all the way back to Midtown from where I was staying in Downtown, so I chose this place. It reeked of tourism kitsch from the entrance to the table. It looked like a bad, put-up job. It's a bad sign when no locals are there -- just tourists, annoying tourists. Why do people from Cleveland always proclaim their source and become loud and annoying?

The meal was poor as was the service (could barely understand the waiter's English, for one -- though I was polite enough not to question this poor Thai immigrant's roots like that annoying Cleveland table). The starter was a very lame gumbo that had no taste and no okra -- two elements that make a gumbo. They call it "hot and spicy" I proclaim it water.

And the "moonshiner's punch" was rather boring, so had to wash down this horrible meal with some Jack on the rocks...ugh. The main course was the mixed grill of chicken, pork and beef. The beef was a shabbily done hamburger patty-like thing; the chicken had the hallmarks of factory processing, and I couldn't even saw through the pork. I barely ate any of it before dumping it.

I left the place pretty annoyed. I don't like the restaurant's design as I don't much care for the movie that it supposed to trivialise. I find the food a joke and the entire experience a major tourist trap. Ridiculous, and I fell for it. I feel like an idiot...

Food: D-
Atmosphere: D-
For Lone Diners: C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home