Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Aux Armes de Bruxelles
Rue des Bouchers 13 Beenhoowersstraat (Brussels)

During a long and tiring trip to Brussels, I managed to convince my friend to dine at a fine Belgian establishment such as Aux Armes de Bruxelles in the city's bistro district. The previous evening was Greek at a cheap outside eatery, so I forced this one...after all, when in Belgium... I had found this place via the useful Belgian restaurant guide Resto -- if you're ever in Belgium, this is the most useful.

The restaurant was packed on a Sunday evening, a merger of locals, returning Eurocrats, and eager tourists. The cosmopolitan nature of the place was balanced by Gallic service and over-cosiness. It has the annoyance and charm of Parisian dining, but at least the food was better than Paris...

For a starter I enjoyed the pied du porc grillé - gegrilde varkenspoot (grilled pork trotters). It was perhaps a bit rich and a bit large for starters, it was not bad at all. Excellent stuff, hard to get outside of the Gallic-influenced world. Oh, by the way, I'm writing this with French first with difficulty, not due to any linguistic limitations, but when I'm in Brussels I almost always try to use Flemish instead...I like French and the French language, but I despise the unjustified domination of French in this ought-to-be bilingual city. Oh well, enough of my personal crusades...

For the main course I enjoyed anguilles au vert - paling in 't groen (eel in green sauce), something I've been dying for since arriving in town. It was done excellent in a rich green sauce. I love eel when cooked right. I would suggest this awesome dish for people willing to try this delicacy beyond the Japanese grill.

No dessert as I was full, and with the slow service we just took the bill and took off. Good place, crap service, but tolerable -- if I don't live here. Goodness, the life of Eurocrats...

Food: B
Atmosphere: C
For Lone Diners: D+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home