Friday, May 25, 2007

Milos
125 West 55th Street (between 6th & 7th)

It was a horribly hot day, but I dropped into the airy restaurant for a well-deserved full lunch. The table was nice, and I liked the open spacing -- and the usage of the building's foundation pylons and so forth. The little above-ground alcoves are also nice. But there are a few pieces of oddly-placed art...

The meal started well. I had a nice Greek white on this horribly hot day, and the grilled octopus was excellent. I was saddened that they no longer have cuttlefish, but this was nice. Service was lightning fast, so that was great.

The main course was one I didn't care for -- but chose it over the other bland choices: swordfish. Sorry to sound arrogant, but I have never had a better swordfish than ones that come either from my own kitchen, or back in Sicily. This was overcooked and uninspiring...I should have known better...oh well...

The service then collapsed...took 15 minutes for the forced-on-me prix fixe dessert to arrive. It was a pretty boring karidopita, and it took ages to get the espresso. That left things pretty negative at the end, which is too bad, as it started out so well. It's a good place, but I think other Greek estiatoria are much better, especially Ammos (but definitely NOT Avra)...

Food: C+
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home