Monday, May 14, 2007

Georgia Brown's
950 15th Street NW (between I & K, Washington DC)

I remember someone joking to me saying this revered Washington DC home of haute Southern cuisine could mesmirise patrons into thinking this chaotic capital of this country is truly an integrated city. For a brief afternoon lunch over a few drinks and escaping from the sun and the menacing summer-like humidity, my week-long trip back to my former abode on the Potomac gave me a chance to enjoy good Southern food again.

Georgia Brown's is a fantastic place, one of the happiest places you'll ever visit. The crowd is unlike most restaurants fine dining patrons are used to -- let's just be frank. A large number, if not a majority, of patrons, are from the black community. Again, looking at the crowd of wealthy, affluent, successful and fantastically-dressed crowd you would think of the successes of racial integration. Well, for an afternoon maybe...

I used to enjoy this place for the energy and the large and fine foods here. It is a place you will get very, very full. I came in on a hot late afternoon and relaxed to a rather fantastic melon-based cocktail. Mmm...sweet and cold. I ended up having another, especially enjoying the huge slice of watermelon that came with each.

For the meal I had a bit too much. The starter was the Charleston she-crab soup. This is a fantastic version of the classic, with the sherry really coming out. Fantastic. The main course was a huge plate of Carolina gumbo. I am a gumbo lover, since I cultivated that strange vegetable called the okra as a child. Amazing stuff, with very generous amounts of seafood and duck and sausages...mmm.

The atmosphere there is always happy and -- as I usually dine there during lunch -- lots of long, long lunches. There is a great amount of energy there, and the space is well-used. Diners are always happy to enjoy the foods of both their upbringing and exploration, and the staff is quick and efficient. To this day, this is still one of my favourites in DC.

Check it out if you get to DC, and you'll have a wonderful experience with the food and atmosphere. And prepare to take some food home!

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home