Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dani
333 Hudson (at Charlton)

Last time I dined at Dani it was an odd, post-holiday Tuesday -- and it was empty. However, knowing the quality of the place, I chose it as a perfect Saturday night date location with my (thank goodness) once-again girlfriend. We needed a good night out, and Dani gave us the perfect scenario.

It was a busy night there, totally packed -- which was quite different from last time. How ironic that I end up at the same table (which the staff joked about, as they actually remembered me). After a wonderful sparkling cocktail, we opted for a bottle of excellent Italian white that the operating partner recommended. Knowing his excellent reputation concerning wines, we happily went along with it -- and it was refreshing and excellent on this mild evening.

My girlfriend had her usual salad, this time with her favourite goat cheese. I chose the fritto misto. It wasn't as good as last time, but still excellent. I wish there was more fish like then. But it was good. And we also enjoyed a mid-course pasta, freshly made with wonderful vegetables and taste. Mmm, this was turning good.

They had run out of the day's special (braised shortribs), which is a good sign of how well they are doing (it's still packed). So I opted for the scallops with pork belly. My girlfriend enjoyed the grilled swordfish. Unfortunately (and fortunately) the previous courses were so big we were nearly full when the main courses arrived. We ate them partly and had to bag them...

In the meantime we were switched to a larger table -- partly because they were trying to fit a party of 8. I don't mind this, especially to a better table. I think this type of consideration is good for a restaurant. For that move, we were treated by the operating partner to an assortment of desserts -- chocolate cake, sorbet, biscotti...wow. It was nearly too much!

After a grappa and some coffee, we made our way to the door. The restaurant at 11pm was still relatively full, which shows how good this place is. It still makes me think why it was so empty that other day, but seeing this tonight justified my choice and faith. Good call!

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home