Monday, April 23, 2007

Alfama
551 Hudson Street (corner of Perry Street)

I have always found it difficult to find good Portuguese food anywhere, even when there is a big Portuguese community -- such as Toronto. I have in the past praised the Portuguese tapas restaurant/bar Tintol (read my review), but have never made it down to the West Village to Alfama. But on this Thursday evening, I did manage to hike down there.

Despite being late by half hour due to massive problems on the yuck-invoking L train, I relaxed once seated into a comfortable sofa seat against the wall. The service was good, quick and friendly. Even before my white wine showed up, my chouriço had already arrived, flaming and smelling delightful. And it tasted great...usually I rather like it more grilled, but I was so hungry I devoured the sausage quickly and with delight.

By this time, I had been enjoying a beautiful bossa nova performance by master vocalist Alessandro Panicola. The beautiful, soothing sounds from his voice and guitar made the entire experience more than just a meal. He has one of the best faux-trombone I've ever heard.

I was more than happy when the mariscada (seafood stew) came in a traditional cataplana. The stew was very rich, filled with shrimp, clams, mussels, lobster and scallops, alongside the traditional potatoes. It was just wonderful, borderline mesmirising for those of us who love shellfish. Simple, but done well -- many other Portuguese places really skimp on the quality of this fantastic dish.

I was too full for dessert, but enjoyed quite a few drinks afterwards -- especially of their fantastic port selection. I also enjoyed the fantastic amarguinha, the almond liqueur...quite stunning. I stayed for a few more at the bar, taking away an order of almôndegas (meatballs of pork and shrimp). Eating it at home hours later, I had a lasting memory of this wonderful evening...

I certainly recommend this wonderful place, to experience awesome Portuguese food and drink, but just to enjoy this beautiful restaurant where there is a true love for the food of their beloved Portugal.

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home