Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bann
350 West 50th Street (between 8th & 9th)

I have always wondered why Korean food hasn't been a success like other Asian cuisines, and why they didn't cash in on the "lo-carb" craze with the awesome barbeques.
Nevertheless, I always find a meal in a good Korean restaurant a treat. I enjoyed eating in Seoul when I was there, even if there was an "odd" item on this menu poster...

Off my sidetrack, I had lunch the other day with a good friend at Bann -- the off-shoot restaurant of the Woo Lae Oak chain. The restaurant had a very calm but trendy atmosphere, and the smoke-free grills and other ventilation tools made the decor quite interesting. I immediately liked the restaurant. BTW this picture, again, is from Seoul, not from Bann.

As my friend chose the lunch prix-fixe, I chose a barbeque and asked them to do it in the kitchen. Why? 1) It's rude to barbeque when your dining companions are not, and 2) I had meetings later and rather not smell (as wonderful that smell is) like grilled meat. It was a Friday, after all...

We split a starter of ga ri bi gui -- a very innovative baked scallops and mushroom dish, presented in the shells over a chemical fire. Good presentation, and it tasted wonderful too. This was a nice special. I wish I had taken a picture of it...

My main course was hyaw mit -- barbequed tongue. I love tongue, especially done well. The best tongue dishes I've had had been at London's wonderful St John and Tallinn's amazing South American grill Argentiina. But here, done in a Korean barbeque style, was quite nice. With the accompanying side-dishes, I really downed the kimchee alongside the meat. Excellent, perhaps a little too filling!

A good coffee later and I was more than happy. This was an excellent lunch. I wish there was a Korean place closer to where I live!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: A- (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home