Thursday, February 22, 2007

E.U.
235 East 4th Street (between A & B)

I had been excited to hear of a restaurant that pursued the theme of the European Union; it was an idea I had many years ago, one to features cuisines from all parts of Europe -- especially the lesser-known cuisines. So when I arrived at E.U. I was excited -- which was dashed pretty quickly upon seeing the menu...

At first I thought the decor was nice, trendy but not overbearing. But there was little "EU" there at all... I had expected more European themes, but this looked much like the same as many New York restaurants -- especially the last few I had frequented (such as Dani and craftbar).

I had started with the grilled octopus, which was excellent. That was a nice start in a menu that's more "Old Europe" than "EU" per se. However, soon my positive dining experience collapsed...I had just noticed I was seated FACING THE TOILET.

You must be thinking I was joking, but no...the design of the place essentially was like me facing the toilet! It was utterly disgusting and I nearly vomited...who the hell designed this place to have something so putrid? Ugh!!!

I asked for a seating change to the understanding staff...at least they realised what was wrong with that section! Ugh!!!! I do have to admit the service was pretty good, but the restaurant at 7pm was rather empty...

The main course was the braised veal cheeks, which was absolutely delicious. However, I should have ordered a vegetable side, as it was a bit lacking (not the chef's fault, the waiters should have mentioned it). But it was excellent.

I had a rare dessert and had the semifreddo, which was not bad. With some tokaji (finally, something from the rest of the EU!), I left the restaurant puzzled -- satisfied but disgusted. The food was excellent. The design was just awful. I also noticed the plethora of newsprint rolls used as part of the decor...but they have a resemblance to toilet rolls! Goodness, the designer has a toilet fetish! Ugh... So I left the dodgy neighbourhood less than happy...

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B/D-
For Lone Diners: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home