Thursday, February 01, 2007

Rules Restaurant
35 Maiden Lane (WC2E; near The Strand, close to Covent Garden Tube)

One evening after a few pints with two old friends we decided to drop into the venerable Rules Restaurant near Covent Garden. It was not a terribly busy evening, but we still had a considerable wait -- tempered by gin & tonic...

I've not been back to this most classic of London restaurants in awhile, and I must say it was a little disappointing. The atmosphere is still of Olde London certainly, the stiffness there with all its production. But the food has not kept up to standards, sadly.

For starters I enjoyed native oysters, which was quite nice -- but not shucked too well. For the main course I ordered the loin of venison, which was the disappointing part. The meat was mediocre, and its accompaniments if anything detracted from the natural flavours of venison. I would have imagined a restaurant like this would have refined this type of combination by now. Oh well.

Instead of dessert we all enjoyed a nice glass of single malt, which ended the evening quite brilliantly. Rules is a London institution, and excellent for game meats (especially game birds, which I do not enjoy much, sadly). I guess if you are always full due to old-timers and tourists, you're bound to do fine...

Food: B
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: C (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home