Friday, January 26, 2007

Nice Matin
201 West 79th Street (at Amsterdam)

I know it sounds like a broken record when I say I hate going over to the UWS, but my friend up there picks the best places (see reviews of Gennaro and Regional). So on a excellent and freezing night I went over to the UWS again to enjoy a feast at Nice Matin. It was certainly once again a good choice.

We were given a table at the window, which was great. The place had an atmosphere of an European cafe, with a touch of Manhattan bar culture. It was both comfortable and relaxing, but without being too bland. The dimness, or lack of luminosity, helped the atmosphere greatly and was very condusive to all types of crowds, from the lone diner (of which I witnessed many -- a rarity in New York) to the romantic couple to larger groups. That is always a good sign.

Though it is Winter Restaurant Week, we chose not to have the special menu. As good as it looks, we both were not dessert eaters (that's my girlfriend's job...if I still have one at this point...sigh...). So we chose to go solo and it was an inspired choice.

For a starter I enjoyed the shrimp in garlic and oil. I hate eating shrimp in shells in public (though I love it), it was very nice. And the big pieces of garlic made it so much more tasteful -- thank goodness this was a boys' night out! The dishes appeared so quick, literally 3 minutes after we ordered! Excellent, especially for lone diners, but it actually beat the wine to our table...odd.

For the main course I enjoyed the hanger steak au poivre -- as I needed a good bit of beef after the previous night's shambolic meal at Bull & Bear. I was rewarded with a flavourful dish, cooked just right, with a large side of spinach (which I adore). Wonderful. My friend massively enjoyed his braised rabbit -- the day's special.

As suggested earlier, we skipped dessert and went searching for a bar soon after, but the meal was absolutely fantastic. I may slowly become a convert to the UWS...nah, as long as I got the 7 train to get me across town and up on the 1, then I won't bother. It was certainly worth the hike. Excellent!

Food: B+
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: A (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home