Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Public
210 Elizabeth Street (between Spring and Prince)

I have never been a big fan of fusion cuisines, so for me to walk happily into a place that openly describes itself as "free-spirited fusion" must mean the menu was intriguing enough for me to venture in. And to be honest, it was a mixed reaction I got after I left the restaurant -- though I was rather happy with the experience of this Australian-fuelled fusion.

It started off wonderfully with a delicious vanilla and mango mojito -- with an excellent aroma and even better taste. A great start. It was rather quiet as it was a Tuesday night and still rather early, but the environment was rather nice. I liked the decor, which works well for any audience -- understated, but creative. In fact, the excessive candles and darkness makes it a perfect romantic setting. Unfortunately, it was almost too dark to read the menu (I had to keep using my mobile phone to get enough light!).

The starter I chose the grilled kangaroo on coriander falafel. Aside from the falafel being way too salty and overwhelming to the delicate kangaroo, it was fine. I wish it featured the roo a bit more, as it should be the centre of this dish. The main course was the snail and oxtail ravioli. I thought once again the featured ingredient, the snail, was lacking -- it was all oxtail. It was good but a little unsatisfying. Some other places like Alto does a much better job with using lumache. The grilled asparagus side was the best part of the meal...

For dessert I actually enjoyed the six-mixed sorbets. This was the treat of the meal, ranging from the sourest of sours to the sweetest of sweets. The lack of intentional moderation of flavours with the 6 gave them the perfect mutual influence. I have to say I rarely enjoyed a dessert so much.

The restaurant is nice and not too over-bearing. It is way too dark, but could be an advantage for a romantic dinner. There's many good things, but I really wish the chef would enhance the use of the key ingredients in the dishes. Then this place would be terrific.

Food: B
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home