Saturday, December 23, 2006

Lonesome Dove Western Bistro
29 West 21st Street (between 5th & 6th)

I was meeting with a friend for dinner before he left town over the Christmas holidays and he had suggested this place. I've never been big with southwestern flavours, but the menu of this place convinced me. It had much of a "from nose-to-tail" Fergus Henderson-like menu -- so that intrigued me.

After enjoying a nice scotch, we sat down in the relatively quiet restaurant -- although the drunks on the next table knocking over glasses of wine was quite annoying. Nevertheless, the food was excellent, and it compensated for the mess.

I enjoyed the lamb cheeks starter -- a very nice bit, with the most tender lamb out there. It was juicy and moist, the best piece of lamb I've had in months. That got dinner off to a great start!

The venison main course was excellent, cooked excellent and to the right temperature. I love venison, and it is always a treat to have a good piece. The side mac & cheese with truffle was pretty interesting too. I enjoyed the meal very much.

We enjoyed some nice scotch before taking off. This was a good choice. It's a great relaxing place, with country music and a nice mood. I like this place, it feels a bit like Virginia where I used to live. This is a good find, even if the neighbourhood is messy...excellent!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: B (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home