Sunday, November 26, 2006

Gennaro
665 Amsterdam Avenue (between 92nd & 93rd)

It seemed a bit out of the way for me to go to the UWS but it was a convenient place to meet a good friend for dinner on Thanksgiving Friday. As it was near Columbia, we hoped it would be emptier with the students all home. We were somewhat right...

This place notoriously do not take reservations -- perhaps part of its charm, but also vexing. It was worrisome to wait for my friend as the place filled up just after 6pm. We barely got a table -- though he told me that usually he waits over 30 minutes for a table. So we were lucky I guess.

It was an inspired choice, as Gennaro was a solid Italian eatery with a very interesting menu. The last statement needs to be qualified, as the list of specials of the day was overwhelming. I don't think I even looked at the menu after the waiter rattled off the huge list of specials.

For a starter we shared the mixed antipasto...this was a huge plate of everything from the meat and vegetable world, and it was a delicious mix. There was just such a great selection, from sausage to shrimp in garlic oil, from grilled artichoke to oyster mushrooms. It was fantastic, a great sharing plate. It would kill the lone diner, I assure you...

For the main course we both had venison chops, one of the day's specials. Cooked expertly medium-rare (and really medium-rare, not like "restaurant" medium-rare if you know what I mean), it was spectacular. Rarely I get good venison cooked well, and this was just delicious. Now I know what the appeal for this place was.

The food was so filling there was no space for dessert, but a double espresso ended the meal perfectly. The place is lively and close-fitting, and it can be a bit chaotic. But I can see its appeal, especially to those seeking both good food and a relaxed atmosphere (qualify that -- it's relaxed at the table, but chaotic everywhere else!). It's a good discovery!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home