Friday, October 27, 2006

Ammos
52 Vanderbilt Avenue (at 45th)

Having lived above a Greek restaurant while in college, I know and love good Greek food. Though lamb is and will always be my favourite form of Greek cuisine, I also enjoy the wonderful seafood served by this estiatorio.

When my own plans collapsed, I figured I can enjoy a good meal by myself again. Why not, that's what this blog is supposed to be about, right? I remember Ammos from a quick lunch I had months ago, so I decided to give this estiatorio my full dining attention that evening. And that was a good choice.

It was not very busy as it was last Monday evening, so I had a nice, long relaxing meal with a few glasses of good (and underrated) Greek wine. The atmosphere was nice as my seat was a good position to people-watch on Vanderbilt across from Grand Central.

The waiter had warned me some of the fishes were not available (always a good sign of a restaurant, to stick with fresh choices and not always trying to "force" the menu standards). For starter, I chose my all-time favourite cheese -- halloumi. I absolutely love this strong goat cheese, grilled Cypriot-style. Excellent and large dish...mmm...goat cheese...

The main course was a grilled tsipoura (dorado), which was quite nice. I thought the sauce on top was a bit too sour, but it was nevertheless an excellent fish. The side of spanakorizo (spinach rice) was boring, but I somehow ate it too.

I think this place is quite good, especially if you stick to the fresh grilled fish -- and of course the halloumi. I been here before when its full, and it can get very full. But otherwise, this was a nice dining experience once again.

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home