Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Phoenix Garden -- redux
242 East 40th Street (between 2nd and 3rd)

As I wrote my last review in anger and in some stomach discomforture, I didn't think I'd go back for another go at Phoenix Garden. Nevertheless, as my "local Chinese" I had little choice, unless I want to visit one of the very limited grocery options near me. This is one of the frustrations of New York, trying to find a good grocery option that's within bag-carrying distance.

So I actually decided to test the take-away system once again. This time I spoke to someone who seemed to know what he was talking about, asking him for a few things on the Internet version of their menu (while not on their print version for take-away). He was surprised at the website being up (!!) but said both dishes I wanted was available.

I picked up the food and got home with a sense of scepticism, but nevertheless went for it. The spring rolls were bland and boring, and I started worrying. But an incredible turnaround soon -- the shark's fin and shrimp dumplings were nice (and actually fresh, unlike my last attempt into steamed food at this restaurant). That gave me some hope.

The two dishes I ordered were the steamed minced pork with squid and the beef flank with turnips in casserole. To my amazement, both were done extremely well and tasted like it was from a reputable Chinese chef. The steamed minced pork was done nicely, not overly saturated by other ingredients (including the squid). Though it would have been nice with salted egg or salted fish, this was excellent. The casserole was also excellent, reminding me of similar dishes I've enjoyed in Asia. Both dishes met with authenticity, which caused me to write this second review.

Though not at the level of Royal China in London, possibly one of the best Chinese restaurants in the world, these dishes gives me lots of hope for Phoenix Garden in the future. I just need to remember not to order on a busy Friday night.

Food: A-
Atmosphere: n/a
For Lone Diners: n/a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home