Monday, October 09, 2006

Alcala
342 East 46th Street (between 1st and 2nd)

There is an abundance of good Spanish restaurants in New York. And thank goodness they all have an individual flare -- unlike the overwhelming number of "boring" Italian restaurants in the city with the same boilerplate menus. Amongst the many excellent Spanish eateries, my favourite over the past year has been Alcala.

A hidden gem right near the United Nations, a bit out of the way even for many Midtown residents, Alcala featured an exciting menu that combines both flare and good, down-home taste -- without the pretentiousness that has crept over many other otherwise-good Spanish restaurants around Manhattan. A perfect place for a group, a perfect place for a romantic meal, a perfect place to dine alone.

This time I was dining with some friends visiting (one from London, one from Texas). They loved the atmosphere and meal as much as I did despite the diversity of their geographic origins. I enjoyed the Basque-y Larruskain seafood soup -- excellent blend of tastes without exaggeration that sometimes ruins a good traditional dish in Manhattan. The chipirones en su tinta -- squid in ink -- is my all-time favourite dish in Spanish eateries, and Alcala does it to near perfection. My dining companions enjoyed various dishes, ranging from the clams starter to the duck confit -- all to their extreme satisfaction.

Again, a rarity, but I enjoyed a dessert as my dining companions also did the same. The rice pudding was modest and thoroughlly enjoyable; my friends enjoyed a mixed selection, which tempted the tastebuds with rich chocolates to subtle apples. Fantastic!

Having dined at Alcala a few times earlier, I had expected a wonderful meal. To see my friends enjoy it as much as I did gratified me, as I love to share my knowledge of good food. The service is excellent, boasting an Old World courtesy about it. And a fine selection of wine makes this restaurant one of my personal favourites in New York, whether alone or with others. Highly recommended, even if you need to run across town for it!

Food: A
Atmosphere: A
For Lone Diners: A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home