Friday, September 29, 2006

Turkish Kitchen
386 Third Avenue (between 27th and 28th)

Don't be confused by the relatively generic name of this place -- this is one of the top Turkish restaurants in New York, if not the world (outside of Turkey, of course). This restaurant was recommended to me by my dining companion and stupid me, I didn't think of making reservations. Thank goodness they chose to open up the upstairs section, or else we would have been waiting for awhile...

This is a spectacular restaurant, a perfect place for a romantic evening. The dimmed lights and use of reds on the walls and furnishing gives it a spectacular ambience for amour. There was a VIP party upstairs (I'll elaborate later) so the tables were placed a little cramped -- but it was my fault for not reserving something. So no minus points on atmosphere here.

The food was spectacular. As the two of us knew how heavy Turkish food can be, we chose to both have just the main course. I enjoyed tandir -- sliced roast leg of lamb. Turkish kitchens always do lamb with such love and dedication, and this particular Turkish Kitchen excelled at this craft. The lamb was tender and flavourful, but there was no "hiding" of the natural taste of lamb -- a sign of real respect and love for this wonderful meat. I was nearly in heaven with this. My dining companion enjoyed the iskender kebab -- which was absolutely delicious (the lamb was nice and moist, something many Turkish restaurants fail at for this particular dish).

We shared the almond pudding for dessert (this restaurant, like most Turkish establishments, use the "ambush" method of dessert selection), which was delicious. Throughout the meal I mentioned to my dining companion I was surprised with the VIP table in the room. Of course the UN General Assembly had already concluded, so I was surprised when I saw Turkish Foreign Minister (and Deputy Prime Minister) Abdullah Gül at the centre of the table. This is perhaps the best advertisement for the restaurant in my head.

As we left the restaurant trying to hail down a cab in front of several Secret Service protection vehicles, I still savoured the taste of that delicious lamb. This restaurant has totally won me over, and I shall be back often!

Food: A
Atmosphere: A
For Lone Diners: B (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home