Friday, October 27, 2006

Madiba
195 Dekalb Avenue (between Carlton and Adelphi)

A good friend of mine of South African origin visited me during the week, and she was homesick -- so we arranged to head all the way to Brooklyn to enjoy some good ZA food at Madiba. She also wanted to bring home to California some good dried ZA sausages and meats, so we trekked out to Brooklyn.

It was a hike, but a place not to be missed. The atmosphere was nice and festive, and we enjoyed a huge meal. The African decor with plenty of colours made the entire experience very relaxing and charming at the same time, accentuated by the excellent and voluminous food.

I enjoyed the ostrich carpaccio, which was excellent. My main dish was pap and boerewors, an excellent and meaty option. The boerewors, meat sausages, were nice and the pap -- a spƤtzle-like starch, made it a very filling meal. My friend enjoyed the potjie bredie -- a nice stew. I think it was oxtail that day, but I couldn't tell. Nevertheless it was excellent.

Though that part of Brooklyn is a hike from Midtown Manhattan, this was a worthy trip to experience some good, solid South African food. I was very impressed and would probably trek down here at some point by myself again. Excellent!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: B (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home