Wednesday, November 08, 2006

London...oh London...

The reason that there has been no update is that I've been in London, my former home, for the past week. During that time I enjoyed many fine restaurants that I remember fondly from my years there -- ones that would turn the tables around in New York, I guarantee. Here's a few blips of them:

Ping Pong
45 Great Marlborough Street (in Soho)

This is a concept that must appear in New York soon -- the "dimsum bar" concept is just perfect for Manhattan. Dimsum is considered rather healthy due to it being steamed, and this restaurant chain does it spectacularly and with a trendy feel -- a perfect combo for Gotham (if it ever makes it over). This place is always full, and it has expanded with abandon. I was introduced to this restaurant by a good mate and fellow historian, and each meal is quite enjoyable. Their selection of dimsum is excellent, and each visit is a treat. And with a "sushi ordering system" by paper, it is not intimidating like many authentic dimsum places. This is a great place -- the only drawback is that it is way too crowded (often you'll sit with no elbow room at the bars). But it is definitely a great place to have a good solid meal! And try the tea, the presentation is pretty cool. This place just smashes Ruby Foo's in Manhattan into the ground... [A]

Royal China
13 Queensway (between Queensway & Bayswater Tube stations)

As I've said before, one of the very best Chinese restaurants on this planet -- this from a person who is not very fond of Chinese cuisine. I used to live near here for a year and never discovered it until last year when a LibDem mate dragged me in there. What an amazing restaurant, with both authenticity in menu (and what a menu...it's so long it's scary) and taste. For this post-flight late dinner I enjoyed the spicy cold tripe starter (don't knock it until you try it, it is fabulous). The main course was the oyster and tofu hotpot -- spectacular. This restaurant is always busy, so make sure you book -- and try some of the best items on their menu, ranging from braised shark fin to cold jellyfish with roast duck. An amazing place! They have several other locations, but I always use this one. [A+]

Sarkhel's
199 Replingham Road (a few minutes from Southfields Tube station)

One of the best Indian restaurants around. Being in NYC I miss my usual doses of Indian food (on this trip I enjoyed Indian food thrice!), and this place is one of the best. Being further outside of central London makes it more of a pilgrimage than anything. I again met up with my fellow historian and enjoyed a long and scrumptious meal here, tasting the best fish and lamb dishes under the sun. The gade pakori (fish fritters) is just excellent here, and the tandoori pomphret (fish) is just dreamy. It was so good I took another back to my hotel! Spectacular, spectacular, spectacular!!! [A+]

These are just a very few of my favourite restaurants in London. Others include the excellent Spanish El Pirata in Mayfair, the unique "head-to-tail eating" specialty St John in Farringdon, the excellent Japanese Matsuri in Holborn and their fabulous teppanyaki, the simple but filling Japanese stylings of Wagamama off Kensington High Street, the spectacular and creative Polish restaurant Wódka also near HSKen, a creative and excellent Indian restaurant Kishmish next to Chelsea FC's Stamford Bridge Stadium, and the aromatic Korean Soho restaurant Myung-Ga and so much more... Goodness, I miss London already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home