Friday, January 12, 2007

Esca
402 West 43rd Street (at 9th Avenue)

After a horrific day and a horrific week, I had decided to unwind at my favourite place to eat in New York, the fabulous Esca. It is indeed a hike to the West Side, but it was something I needed to do. I had a lot of steam to blow off (isn't this a common theme these days?)...

I got there and was promptly seated, despite being early. I was put in the same alcove as before, so very nice. The environment was much the same, though the restaurant was quite busy -- always a good sign. But the service remained top-class, as usual.

I enjoyed a wonderful bottle of lagrein as the feast began. I love the crudo section of their menu so much I ordered two. The first was the tilefish imported from Slovenia. Excellent texture, and the citrus base not overpowering. Excellent. I followed that with the ultra-rich escolar, which was just delicious. You can't overeat these things...if you've done it (like I have), you know what can happen to you...

I was more than happy by then. I then enjoyed my usual maccheroni alla chittara -- with lump crabmeat and sea urchin. It was fantastic but perhaps a little less rich than last time. It was so good that I actually ordered a second bottle of wine (perhaps a bit of a mistake) and ordered another one to take away! Goodness, the excesses of this evening...I needed it though, after this horrible week...

I ended up skipping dessert but treating myself to another helping of the tilefish crudo, which was fantastic. I spent a bit more time finishing that second bottle of wine, which was indeed way too much. I was overdoing it, but loved it. I paid for it afterwards, of course, but it's one of those nights that you need to do once in awhile...

Again, Esca did not disappoint and is still the place to go if you fancy some excellent Italian seafood. Nothing beats it. The winelist is spectacular as is the entire experience. Check it out if you haven't yet!

BTW if you want to read my first review of Esca it's here.

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home