Sunday, February 04, 2007

Matsuri -- St James's
15 Bury Street (SW1Y; off Jermyn Streen between Green Park and Pic Circus Tube)

I didn't know why I fancied Japanese food my last afternoon in London, so as I was already in the Green Park area, I wandered into one of the best teppanyaki restaurants in Europe, Matsuri. I usually frequent the location in Holborn, and this is the first time I have tried this location (which my friends tell me is "better"), and my expectations of a good meal was indeed achieved.

In a not-too-busy late afternoon, I was given a seat at the teppanyaki area and enjoyed a quick and good meal. Sometimes it's odd to eat teppanyaki solo, but it was a very nice experience indeed. The "stage-show" wasn't too fancy, but the cooking was done well, fast and smoothly (no flying vegetables or exploding rice a la Benihana). I enjoyed the sirloin steak, which was cooked nicely. The pieces of cooked fat made it quite delicious, as did the flavourful vegetables on the side. As this was lunch, I opted for a simple meal (I've had wonderful eel and lobster at the sister restaurant...).

The place is a good option for a group of single diner -- if there is room, that is. This could get very crowded and busy, but teppanyaki is always condusive to conversation. The decor is pretty nice inside as you go into the basement restaurant. The sushi area is also quite nice, and on another day I would have thoroughlly enjoyed that experience. So overall for a good, fast and not-too-expensive option, Matsuri is just excellent.

By the way, this location has the teppanyaki and sushi areas; the Holborn location has a normal dining area upstairs in addition to the large teppanyaki and sushi areas in the basement. A wonderful restaurant!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home