Sunday, February 04, 2007

My Commentary about Friday...

Again, I really did not intend to make any commentaries like this in this particular blog, but I feel I must. Friday night's dining experience at Kishmish was pretty much ruined by circumstances not in control by the restaurant, and that is always a shame. And what upset me more is that the worst stereotypes of groups were realised in this shameful display of modern day London.

I was contemplating this while waiting for my train at Fulham Broadway. There was a large group of drunken and aggressive Korean males attempting to indimidate a few rough looking Londoners...now that was sheer irony. And that got me to think, why was tonight's experience so marred?

First of all, the Americans, my fellow Americans. Why do they behave like that whenever they are out of their hometowns? They are loud and obnoxious, and seem to enjoy being loud and obnoxious. They always introduce their American-ness (like people can't tell already) for no reason, and often come up with the most stupid and inane thoughts while talking. And they ask the most ridiculous questions that could be answered if they just used their brains for 2 seconds. And they care little about others sitting adjacent from them, like they are the crown princes of the town. Ridiculous. I remember once in Toronto at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse where a family of non-beef eaters from Cleveland (yes, that's how they greeted their puzzled waiter) chose that restaurant over the 100+ that were within a block to say they hated beef? And another time when two Americans sat and continually badmouthed Canada, causing my irate Canadian dining partner to let them have it verbally?

I sometimes think Americans need to think twice before travelling abroad. They are not kings of this world. They really need to do more thinking and understanding before thinking everyone on this planet bends down to them. They will enjoy their travelling -- and dining -- more then, and look less like idiotic stereotypes. Now you know why they call us "bloody Yanks" and "ugly Americans" when we travel???

Then there were my fellow Londoners...ugh. A pack of 20+ around a series of tables, drunk and loud, argumentative and out-of-control. It was a Friday evening at 9pm, and already pissed beyond belief. The waiters could not cope as they kept moving and insisting they did not order certain dishes (well, if you move 8 places down, do you think they would have known?). And seats kept appearing and disappearing, and they continued to winge and argue. Is this modern London, the drunken, elitism shown this evening? Is it because it is a curry that they choose this method of behaviour? Would they dare do this in a "proper" restaurant? Kishmish is easly a proper restaurant, not some £3-a-curry hole near Earl's Court or Stratford.

This drink culture in London is just so out of hand that it is seriously close to making even London restaurants unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, I had several nights out last week that resulted in over 8 pints consumed, but there's a place for certain things. And just because it's a curry doesn't mean the staff can be treated so badly -- much like you can do certain things in a Pizza Hut and not in a 5-star Italian restaurant. Just common sense and decorum, of which modern England is losing -- very quickly.

This whole night was draining, and I chose to not go out for a few pints due to this hideous display. I wandered back to my room and turned on the TV, not wanting to hear any voices of an American or English origin. Then I turned on RaiUno and was greeted with the emergency headline, "sangue sul calcio". And as I watched the riots in Catania, I frowned. Maybe it's the world that's in the crapper, or maybe it's me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home