Friday, March 02, 2007

Geisha
33 East 61st Street (between Park and Madison)

On what proved to be a wet and messy Thursday evening, me and a dear friend decided on a later-than-usual dinner in this uptown trendy locale. I had been a little hesitant, as I'm not into Asian-fusion, and Thursday evenings in trendy UES places tend to be of drunken investment bankers either trying to out machismo each other or to get a bit of flesh before heading out of town for the weekend. But nevertheless, we went for it.

At first impression it was awful, as the management just had no control over the guest arrival situation. It was total chaos, and any good restaurant manager would be aghast to see this much chaos. Plus with the limited front-room area and the overflowing bar with aggressive drunks, it began the evening very poorly. Bad design, as usual. It reminded me of 212 (which was also a late Thursday evening, come to think of it...).

We took the internal lift to the 2nd floor and was seated in a room with some of the most ridiculous people I've seen in New York yet: a table full of drunken and loud young investment bankers, two Russian trophies taking the most inane stuff (боже...), and an assortment of other loud louts and people whose self-importance is about as pronounced as their ignorance and idiocy...ugh... But we tried to enjoy ourself in the rather odd environment. The environment was pretty bland but the seating was comfortable, so that was a mild plus.

The menu didn't excite me and looking at the chaos, I chose not to have the special imported wagyu (like the one I enjoyed at Megu). I ended up with a very boring and bland lobster dumpling starter (foam, damn it!!!). I was worried about this meal...

However, the grilled lamb turned out to be spectacular, one of the best lambs I've had in awhile. I personally do a great rack of lamb so am über-critical on this, but they did a fantastic job. Good quality meat done right, it's a joy.

We split a bread pudding for dessert that was okay, nothing too special. By now most of the annoying people around had moved on (probably to other drinking dens) and we relaxed and took our time finishing our drinks. This is much more civilised...

Overall it's not a bad place, but the external conditions make this place a trial I think. I would so much rather go to Megu (if they'll ever have me back after my idiocy last time!) as they have a better menu and better concept. This place is just a trendy UES place -- good for what it is, but that's it.

Food: B+
Atmosphere: C
For Lone Diners: C (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home