Monday, March 19, 2007

Artisanal Bistro
2 Park Avenue (on 32nd Street)

Despite having a hangover on a Sunday morning, I accepted my friend's invitation to brunch at Artisanal. Knowing the good menu it boasted and the chef's reputation (such as at the wonderful Picholine), I accepted -- as a way to clear my head too. Plus, I needed a long walk...though I didn't expect it to be so warm outside again (where is my winter?!).

The restaurant was absolutely packed, which was expected for brunch. I actually detest Sunday brunch. You have the strangest people sitting next to you talking to most ridiculous BS...it's just so bloody inane! Ugh...that brought the atmosphere down significantly...of course until a young, model-like wonder sat at the table next to us (she was like a better looking version of Lindsay Lohan). Wait, this is a restaurant review, sorry...

The crowd and the design made it horribly difficult to have a conversation without yelling, so we didn't talk as much. I enjoyed a glass of pinot gris alongside a baked skate wing. Pretty simple with a citrus zest, but the lack of vegetables made it annoying. But it was fine for its task. A few cups of coffee and we headed out.

I think Artisanal is a nice place but has that Times Square factory feel about it at some point. Reminds me of Bar Americain -- but with much better food. Maybe it's a place to watch people and be seen, but that's not me. I'm here for the food. So maybe I should come back on a Tuesday evening to really experience this place.

Food: B-
Atmosphere: C+
For Lone Diners: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home