Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Królewskie Jadło
694 Manhattan Avenue (between Nassau & Norman; Greenpoint, Brooklyn)

It was gonna be a messy and wet night, so what possessed me to go all the way from Midtown to Greenpoint was beyond me. But for some reason, I was dying to have some Polish food and beer. Dlaczego?

It was a lengthy journey thanks to the unwieldy change from the 7 train to the G train in Queens. My three-borough trek ended and I found Królewskie Jadło quickly -- with the suits of armour outside, as advertised. When I walked in, I was both relaxed and dissatisfied...

For better or worse, it was like a homecoming -- back in Central/East Europe. The website would have you believe this was some elegant, mediaeval, classy place -- and from the pictures and description (in English and po polsku) that was the idea. But not really...this was really just a simple, neighbourhood eatery catering to the Polish community in Greenpoint. So it was really for better or worse.

Switching into the Polish that I've been progressively forgetting over the 10+ years since I studied the language, it was quite a nice but quick meal. They had run out of the duck, and as the place was busy I chose a faster meal -- and went with the ever-present and consistent gołąbki (cabbage rolls). It was a nice, hearty meal, with 2 large Okocim beers.

The service was fast and the clientele all Polish -- which is always a good sign for ethnic restaurants. The restaurant is a friendly and relaxing place to enjoy a meal and to have a few drinks. I wish it was in Manhattan. Anyway, I left after the filling meal and had another piwo en route to the Subway. Another 3-borough trip to get home... Potrzebuję jeszcze piwa...

Food: B-
Atmosphere: B-
For Lone Diners: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home