Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Salmu krogs
3 GrenĨu iela (Riga, Latvia -- on road to Jurmala and airport)

I was in Latvia during my most recent European trip. I've not been back to Latvia for about 4 years, which was a long time; when I used to live in Estonia, I used to go to Latvia several times a year for a break. Riga was wonderful then, and is wonderful now -- despite the drunken Brits! I was there officially to interview the President, but it was a great chance to catch up with friends I've not seen in awhile.

One of these moments was the day I was departing. A good friend of mine drove me to the airport and we stopped for lunch at Salmu krogs on the road to the airport (and Jurmala). The farmhouse-like flagship of this small Latvian chain was the perfect place to have a nice final Latvian meal. The straw tavern (the literal translation of the restaurant's name) really boasted a wonderful exterior, matching the image the name conjures up.

The restaurant boasted an incredibly long menu, and it was hard to go through it all. But as I was a bit hungover, I didn't drink and ended up having just one course -- the special at the time, roast loin of wild boar. Wow, it was fantastic, done medium and with the most wonderful herbal touches. I was in heaven...

This just shows that Central/East European cuisines should not be scoffed at. I've been to hundred of excellent restaurants in CEE that does CEE cuisine expertly. And before you try it, don't knock it. If you get a chance to go to Latvia, enjoy Riga -- and try to drop into Salmu krogs en route to the airport. You'll love this final meal.

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home