Monday, April 30, 2007

Byblos
200 East 39th Street (on 3rd)

It was by fate that I ended up at this restaurant a block from home. I was actually going to Salute! to dine a few blocks west, but it was utterly horrible there. After 10 minutes they were still not serving me -- despite me sitting at the bar. Horrific service and attitude, I won't even bother with this place again. And those prices? Yeah, right I'll try again...

So en route home I decided to drop into Byblos -- a place I walk next to every day. And it was due to good fortune I found this excellent Lebanese restaurant so close to home. With a nice bottle of Lebanese red, I enjoyed the meal. The only bothersome bit came from screaming children from a table of people who couldn't care less their kids were out of control. Goodness...

The starter of grilled goat cheese was awesome. I love this dish, and can eat it all day. I scarfed down the food with glee -- though the pita that came with it tasted like it was made a week ago...ugh...

I enjoyed the cheese and was not prepared for the sight of my main course, the stuffed lamb breast. It was the entire half of the ribcage! It was roasted and stuffed with mince and rice. It was like the Ukrainian dish holubtsy (Polish gołąbki and English stuffed cabbage) -- but it was a rack of lamb instead of cabbage that held the stuffing! Amazing stuff!

I ate about half of it and had to surrender...quite amazing! I saved enough room for dessert, and was given an extra large portion of milk pudding...mmm. I had to take half of it home. I left happily, with two strong arak to go with it. I was more than happy to find this place. It's larger than one would suspect, and they advertise belly dancing in the weekends. I rather like a quiet meal and lightning fast service -- and cheap too for Midtown standards -- so it worked out great this evening. Check it out!!!

Oh, as a side note. I was happily looking forward to eating the rest of the stuffed lamb but I saw a homeless man en route home -- so I gave him the lot. I know he'd be having the meal of the year then and there.

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home