Thursday, May 24, 2007

Landmarc
179 West Broadway (between Leonard & Worth)

My friend suggested this place down in TriBeCa -- an area of town I usually avoid due to the amount of pomposity, frivolity and shallowness that's exhibited there. However, since we would be meeting early, I thought, why not. So I trecked down on the Subway and had a pretty good time at this interesting eatery.

Looking at the menu (my friend too care of the wine, a fine pinot noir), I noticed a few things influenced by the crafty hands of London's Fergus Henderson (and his infamous St John), the doyen of the "nose-to-tail eating" trend. Some find it awful, I love it. The roasted bone marrow on the menu was a great example of this dedication.

Over a good amount of wine and interesting chat, my starter arrived. The warm snail salad was quite excellent, with ample amount of the advertised ingredient. That was a good start. For the main course I chose the boudin noir (blood sausage). It was not grilled well, but it was good nevertheless -- with a side of nicely done potato (something I usually don't enjoy).

There were of course pompous, self-important idiots all around, so we took off early after finishing off the 2nd bottle of wine. It was a good place, and around that part of TriBeCa, it's a good find -- especially for its value and high quality. Excellent place, especially if you are stuck mired in this meshy mess of pomposity...

Food: B
Atmosphere: C+
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home