Sunday, May 20, 2007

Il Campanello
136 West 31st Street (between 6th & 7th)

I found this "Italo-Argentinean" place by accident awhile ago, and it has never disappointed. Located near Madison Square Garden, it's an idea place to run to before an event. However, this time, I just had a desire for good grilled food, so I went there with a friend for a late dinner.

The place looks a bit like Craft inside, with the high ceiling and large window panes. The floor is equipped to be turned into a dancefloor to host many of the Latin American dancing events at this place. However, I'm not here to do anything but enjoy the cuisine this fine evening.

The staff was half asleep at one point, as it seems only one waiter was being attentive (and he can't be everywhere at the same time). Took awhile but we got a nice bottle of Argentinean malbec and I started with a nice beef carpaccio.

The main course was my favourite, parrillada argentina -- the mixed grill. This huge assortment contained the wonderful skirt steak cooked to the right medium-rare I wanted, the short ribs with much flavour, the morcilla (blood sausage) I craved, and a few other bits. I'm not a big fan of sweetbreads, but I ate them. My friend took the chicken as it was just too much.

We enjoyed a few grappa (including one on the house) with coffee, and I enjoyed also a mango sorbet -- done very well. I was more than happy as we left the restaurant as it closed. Wonderful place, though some of the staff needs to wake up a bit...

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: C (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home