Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Sweet Lowdown
942 Peachtree Street NE (between 8th and Peachtree Place; near Midtown MARTA)

It was a hot, summer day in Atlanta and I felt like enjoying some local dining. So I trekked up to midtown (from downtown, where I was staying) and checked out this local favourite. As it was a late lunch time period, it was rather empty. I sat myself at the bar and watched the US Open and enjoyed a solid lunch with a nice pint of Stella. This place had a nice mural behind the bar of a Southern picnic on the farm. An interesting and open design.

The seafood chowder came very quickly and it was a huge bowl. Filled with seafood, this was a delicious example of voluminous and generous Southern eating. Mmm, though I wish I had some Tabasco to add here.

The main dish was fried chicken, with sides of greens and mac-and-cheese. Excellent, typical cuisine. The chickens were done well, very juicy and tender. Overall, an excellent and quick experience.

I wish I had the time to enjoy dinner here as the menu and drinks look quite interesting. But nevertheless, it was lunch, and it was hot, and I wandered north afterwards to enjoy a travelling exhibition from the Louvre. I couldn't believe that after eating this rich and oily fried chicken I would be -- in 15 minutes -- standing inches in front of Nicolas Poussin's masterpiece "Et in Arcadia Ego". I was so close I could have touched it...and to think I forgot to wash my hands...

Food: B
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home