Friday, June 08, 2007

St John
26 St John Street (EC1M, near Farringdon tube)

Having missed out on this unique eatery the last few times I was in London, I was looking forward to a scrumptious and adventurous lunch the middle of the week. My previous reviews (including this one) have been quite positive of this place -- especially of its adventurous use of ingredients people find "less than attractive" on the dinner table.

However, I was severely distressed over this last experience, and it has rather shaken my belief in this place. Though it has always been weak in the service department, the service this time was just dreadful. I was shocked at the callousness of the staff, more eager to chat with each other and linger around the kitchen than to serve the nearly-empty restaurant. I was more than livid by the time I left, and I dropped an insulting 5p gratuity. No, not 5 per cent, 5 pence...

The food was also nothing special. The starter was a cold cuttlefish salad. I had anticipated excellence, and since I love cuttlefish, I was really eager to get at this dish. It turned out the shellfish tasted old, like it had spent quite a bit of time in the fridge. Very disappointing.

The main course was the grilled ox heart with beets. The portion of heart was very small, looking more like a small starter at a Korean BBQ. It tasted fine, but it was also compounded by the "leaking" of the tinned beets...which made the heart pieces swim in a sauce that looked ghastly like blood. It was just a bit too odd.

After waiting nearly 20 minutes for my bill, I was livid and left quite angrily. I can't believe this place let me down. Sadly, now with Fergus Henderson's health woes, the quality of his creation has also deteriorated. Shame, it is...

Food: C
Atmosphere: D
For Lone Diners: D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home