Friday, June 08, 2007

Chez Kristof
111 Hammersmith Grove (W6, near Hammersmith tube)

Despite being a frequent diner at sister restaurant Wódka, I have never dined at chef Jan Woroniecki's other eateries. However, on a windy evening, me and a good friend wandered out to Hammersmith to enjoy his continental creations. I love Polish food, but a change is always great. And this turned out to be a great choice -- especially after the poor meal I had earlier in the day at the previously-reliable St John...

The dark but classy restaurant is perfect in the up-and-coming neighbourhood, and -- despite having design similarities with its sister restaurant -- it is comfortable and interesting. We enjoyed a nice martini to start before we enjoyed a fine bottle of red to celebrate various events, including the finding of this excellent eatery.

For a starter I enjoyed pork belly salad. It was done very well, with an excellent light salad over the savoury pork belly -- a generous portion, may I add. My friend thoroughly enjoyed the lamb kidneys. For a main course he enjoyed the duck, while I had a scrumptious pork chop. Knowing the love affair with pork in Polish cuisine, I had a feeling it would be good. Perfect, done not too light nor soft, not too overcooked or bland, it was nearly perfect. I've not had such good pork chop in many years.

Despite feeling full, we both opted for desserts to round up this fine meal. I enjoyed a wonderful rice pudding. Then we both splurged and enjoyed several drinks of krupnik -- the honey vodka that has caused so many unsuspecting hangovers in Poland and Lithuania and beyond...

We left Chez Kristof extremely satisfied, knowing we found a wonderful eatery. If it wasn't in Hammersmith...

Food: A-
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: B (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home