Saturday, June 16, 2007

Tinto
114 South 20th Street (between Chestnut & Sansom, Philadelphia)

I've always been told that Philadelphia has some of the best restaurants in the North-east -- many better than back in New York. I've never had exceptional food in the City of Brotherly Love until last night when I dropped into the cozy and exciting Tinto.

This small and vibrant restaurant had a very New York feel about it -- quick and small plates for sharing, creative use of a thin space, an open kitchen, and quick and efficient staff. And most importantly, a fabulous menu.

If not for a recurrance of my ulcer, I would have enjoyed more wine. But I had very little, preferring to enjoy the food. I was told three dishes would be best, so I took my server's advice. It was hard to choose as all these Basque-influenced dishes look amazing, but...

The first to appear was los hongos a la plantxa -- grilled wild mushrooms. I love mushrooms and this was done extremely well, with good variety. And for one, they really piled on the mushrooms and kept the other ingredients to a minimum. Fantastic start.

The second dish to appear was el arroz con almejas -- the clam rice. This was done very well, with a tangy lemon rice. Excellent. The third was el txangurro a la donostia -- baked crab. This was fabulous, with a generous portion of crabmeat baked in a spicy sauce. I loved this one.

If my stomach wasn't going nuts from yesterday's bad meal in Atlanta, I would have stayed and had more from this awesome and creative menu. Alas, that was not to bed. I took a selection of charcuterie with me as I left this place very happy. What a wonderful find!

Food: A-
Atmosphere: B+
For Lone Diners: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home