Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pigalle
790 8th Avenue (at 48th Street)

I do apologise for the lack of entries in recent weeks. To tell you it has been stressful is not even an apt description of what I've been enduring. But hopefully the fog is being lifted...anyway, here's a few catch-ups.

First of all was lunch at the schizophrenic Midtown West eatery Pigalle. I trekked across town to meet a friend for a delayed lunch, and we decided on this staple of the area. I've had a few bad experiences here before, but usually service-oriented rather than food. This time, sadly, was both.

The service was, as usual, lacking and unattentive -- for instance, it took longer to get the check than for the food to arrive. Liquids spilled on my friend's glasses amongst other problems, they just seem to fit the local diner description better, not a popular Midtown eatery. Bit minus here.

The food came lightning fast. The fact it was Columbus Day, a nominal holiday in the grander scheme of New York, the menu was an unexpected weekend brunch menu. So I chose an omelette with mushrooms, chorizo and goat cheese...awful. First, the food came out in like 2 minutes and it looked like one of those omelettes made by one of those George Foreman machines he peddles on TV. There was nearly no chorizo, and the goat cheese was isolated to one blop on one side. And the entire omelette was very bland.

Simply put, we should have gone to a diner.

The location of this place makes it easy to use and somewhat popular, but I think I've learned my lesson. If the rubbish service can't be backed up by adequate food, this place should just be avoided from now on.

Food: D
Atmosphere: D
For Lone Diners: C (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home