Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Benjamin Steakhouse
52 East 41st Street (between Madison & Park; at the Dylan Hotel)

I had almost given up my search for a good steakhouse in Manhattan. With so many bad experiences (La Carne Grill, Old Homestead, etc...), the only ones that came close to being okay were Blair Perrone and Wolfgang's Steakhouse. So when I headed to Benjamin Steakhouse Sunday evening, I didn't expect much.

I was actually surprised by the experience. Less stiff than many other places, less corporate than other places, it helped by being the restaurant for the Dylan Hotel. It was rather empty when I began my meal, but it slowly filled up. Nevertheless, it was a comfortable experience.

Asking for the size of the dishes, I decided to skip the starter and go straight for the lamb chops (which was described as being large). I was happy to hear that, as I've not had good lamb for awhile. And also, a side of broccoli.

It took awhile, but when it came I was surprised. The two chops were quite large, double thickness, and cooked well (maybe a little more than the medium rare I wanted). It was flavourful and nice, and rather rich too -- as it was somewhat untrimmed. That was a great combination, especially from the broiler. I just wish the lamb in this country had more flavour (instead of the bland taste that is marketed to those who do not like lamb's "gaminess").

I had to take one of the chops home with half the vegetables. It was a good late night snack later on. Overall this was a good experience, and I think I found my steakhouse in Manhattan! And the added bonus, it's close and in walking distance! Not a bad way to end a really horrible week...

Food: A--
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home