Friday, January 04, 2008

Matsuri -- St James's
15 Bury Street (SW1Y; off Jermyn Streen between Green Park and Pic Circus Tube)

It was Christmas Eve and everything was shut. I tried several places around Green Park but had little luck...why am I here during the holidays? Anyway, I lucked out to find that one of my favourites, Matsuri, was open. I quickly wandered into this excellent Japanese eatery.

As I wrote in my previous review of Matsuri, it is a good place to eat for lunch or dinner -- and the teppanyaki is exceptional. This time it was quite empty, with the holiday and the late hour. I nevertheless enjoyed a very nice meal.

The downstairs area is a large, teppanyaki room -- itself bigger than most restaurants. This place can be manic when it's full, with all the grills on and active... Today was a great way to relax. I chose the winter lunch special, and it was an inspired choice.

The starter was a tempura soft-shell crab. Excellent flavour...I almost wished for more! I love this dish, the delicate flavours needing no dipping sauce. The main course came as the chef prepared the teppanyaki grill -- the steak. I opted for the garlic fried rice, and that was aromatic and tasty. The chef did a quick but excellent job with the meat, serving it at correct temperature (medium rare).

The food was tasty and the vegetables done well. I was very impressed -- and I wasn't hit by any flying food! And it being Christmas Eve, I left more than happy...this was more I could have expected on this day!

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B-
For Lone Diners: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home