Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hill Country
30 West 26th Street (between Broadway & 6th)

It's been awhile since I've had good barbeque, and when my friend suggested this place I thought why not. It is a busy, raucous place with live country music -- and they don't take reservations. It was packed and I was having a crap day, so was not thrilled about the wait. I had the first of many double Jack's then...

The music, albeit not bad, reminding me of those odd nights in Virginia when I used to escape the refinement of DC for the hills, was way too loud during dining hours. No one can hear each other downstairs, too loud. Plus, we shared a table with an unnamed former cast member of that horrible TV show "Saved By The Bell" if you can believe our bad luck.

The barbeque was actually pretty bad. I had 2 pieces of beef ribs, which had a heavy, smoky flavour -- not a natural smoky flavour, but a "processed" one. It reminded me of the "barbeque" I used to buy back in Eastern Europe. How very unlike Texas!!! And they had the worst selection of sides.

Maybe it's just me, but when I eat ribs I want it with a side of greens. I guess they kept bringing me triple Jack's was a compensation. So that's that.

Good for music, and maybe a fun night out, but not good barbeque food. If you miss certain elements of live away from NYC, great. But if not, you'll cringe at the atmosphere and grumble about the food.

Food: C
Atmosphere: B/D
For Lone Diners: D (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home