Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Devi
8 East 18th Street (between 5th and Broadway)

I don't know what is going on, maybe it is an autumn funk, but I have been having really, really bad meals out. I was with a friend (the same one as the bad Cafe Gray meal and the horrible Euzkadi disaster) Sunday evening and we decided on Devi. As you know I have commented on the lack of a good Indian place in New York (being a London transplant, of course I complain...the only good one is Tamarind), so we risked this place.

I did not know this place was in the middle of a very odd transition...otherwise I would not have agreed. It was not a good meal. Mediocre at best. The staff was confused and really didn't know what they were doing. The place was dark and nicely decorated, but that's about it...

For starters we split two things -- the mushroom toast (boring) and seafood croquettes (also boring). When the complementary canapes came earlier, its blandness should have given some clue to this place...oh well.

The menu is too odd to have a good, normal Indian meal that can be shared. It just seemed so mixed up, and confused. I chose the tandoori venison...and goodness was it cooked badly. I think it wasn't a real tandoor in the back, but probably microwaved or badly broiled. It was cooked very unevenly, nearly raw at points. At least it was a good piece of venison...

We passed on the dessert as the adjacent table had some real odd characters...so we got the hell out of there. Transition or not, this was rubbish...

Food: C
Atmosphere: B-
For Lone Diners: B- (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home