Monday, October 22, 2007

Insieme
777 7th Avenue (at 51st Street, at the Michelangelo Hotel)

When I dined at Insieme many months ago soon after it opened, I was rather impressed by the place. So when two good friends flew into town -- one from London, the other from Texas -- I had to pick a sure bet. So I went with Insieme, knowing how good it is.

The place has become ultra-trendy and I'm glad to see that. The service is fantastic, ranging from the attentiveness to the between-course treats. The canapes to start was great, as was the pumpkin risotto between courses. Excellent. With a wonderful bottle of Lagrein -- one of my favourite reds (from what the Austrians call Südtirol -- now in Italy). Wonderful.

My friend was dying for a martini, and I think they made one for him that satisfied him and made the flight and delay from London worthwhile. I had a scotch before switching to wine. It was all fantastic, up to the grappa after the meal...

Oh, the meal... For a starter I enjoyed the elk carpaccio. Very nicely done, I really enjoyed it. My friends also enjoyed their starters -- the octopus carpaccio and the fritto misto alla Luchese (a wonderful, meaty version of the staple). Excellent. And after a nice risotto that I mentioned earlier, we had the main course. I once again enjoyed the lesso misto -- the boiled meats. Wonderful flavour and texture, amazing! My friends enjoyed their main courses too: gnocchi with seafood and the shortribs. It was a fantastic meal all around.

I skipped dessert as I was too full, though my friends shared a cheesecake. We were amongst the last to leave this wonderful restaurant, savouring how nice the entire evening was. Only sad thing for me was my girlfriend was not able to join us... But still, excellent!

Food: A
Atmosphere: A-
For Lone Diners: A- (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home