Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Villa Berulia
107 East 34th Street (between Lexington & Park)

From my previous review I'm sure you can see that this is one of my favourite places in the area and all of New York. I've not gone out to eat at night in ages, so one night me and a friend headed out to this safe and grand eatery and once again had a wonderful time.

The busy and lively restaurant was once again full, and we took a seat far in the back. Despite some drunk patrons making a scene at the end, it was a fabulous time. The family-run place has a charm that many top restaurants in Manhattan has lost -- its personal touch.

One joy about this Italian-Croatian restaurant is the availability of excellent Croatian wines -- one of the few places in Manhattan you can really enjoy them. We chose a wonderful red from that paradise vine-laden Adriatic island of Hvar, which complemented our meal delightfully.

As the portions here are large, we skipped the starters. This restaurant, already boasting a lengthy and excellent menu, is famous for having tons of different specials each day. However, I went with my typical -- the double veal chop (their specialty). It was wonderful, with a side of broccoli, and I was very content as I ate the last bit of the very large dish.

After a very nice dessert, some coffee and a little bit of Å¡ljivovica, we left this place very happy and full. Villa Berulia is like that down-home trattoria you earn for when you just need a guaranteed solid meal in a wonderful atmosphere. What a wonderful place...that's why it's always popular. One of the best bets in Manhattan.

Food: A--
Atmosphere: B++
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home