Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ammos
52 Vanderbilt Avenue (at 45th)

It's odd how I always end up at Ammos for lunch -- even though they boast a much, much better dinner menu. Perhaps it's the convenience as it is adjacent to Grand Central. Me and my friend wandered there as our first choice, the Grand Central Oyster Bar, was full and besieged by a crazy woman demanding a table...

I've described Ammos before, and it is night and day comparing lunch to dinner -- the lunch crowd is very much a "long office lunch" type of place. The movements are a lot faster, and the menu reflects the velocity. But the one thing that is less usual is the huge portions...and we were floored by it, frankly.

We both ordered a starter -- he had the grilled octopus, I had the smoked trout salad. It was quite good, with plenty of smoked fish and nice quail eggs. It was a healthy portion, and that worried me about the main...

The mains arrived and they were huge. The rib-eye sandwich was gigantic with a side of fries and salad...and I couldn't finish them. It was quite good and the entire lunch was actually quite nice. I can see why this place is popular for a long, liquid lunch by the business set in this area...

Food: B+
Atmosphere: B
For Lone Diners: B+ (*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home