Friday, January 04, 2008

Royal China
13 Queensway (W2; between Queensway and Bayswater Tube)

As many of my readers know, I am not a great fan of Chinese food -- and when I eat Chinese food, I am horribly critical and always seek out the very best or unique. And there is only one Chinese restaurant I seek whenever I can, and that's Royal China at its busy Queensway location. It is by far the best Chinese restaurant in the Western world.

I wandered in on a very long evening, not feeling too well due to excessive lager intake... And this meal was supposed to ready me for more? Nope...I quit after the meal, but the food was fantastic!

The huge place with millions of diners is always an adventure...but it is a terrible reminder of how tourist-invaded Bayswater is. The amount of stupidity uttered from adjacent tables is just dreadful sometimes. But the one change is the clean air...thank goodness for the smoking ban, as that was one of the worst aspects of this restaurant in the past.

I chose the preserved egg as the starter. Most people find the taste of this funny, but it's something I've not had for over a decade so it was rather enjoyable. I wish there was more, but it's not healthy to eat more of this...and it's best not to think how it is preserved traditionally (I'm sure these weren't, or else Health & Safety would interfere!). Finishing a glass of red wine, I was ready for the main.

The hotpot came out with spectacular display...oh, before I forget, the starter came out in an elaborate dish display as well. This restaurant always makes a good job in dish presentation, showing it as a top-class location rather than your local ch***ie (I'm not allowed to use that word in publication, it seems...). This hotpot was a combination of minced pork and dried abalone with tofu. Absolutely rich and excellent, and I polished it off very quickly with zeal. Fantastic, from the base to the mushrooms. They know how to make these hotpots.

As I finished, I knew I would be hungry, so I took the roasted pork and roasted duck with jellyfish away with me. And hours later, after a scotch-drinking session, I finished the night with the roasted meats and jellyfish. Excellent...still enjoying the food from Royal China hours after... This place is always a must.

Food: A
Atmosphere: B--
For Lone Diners: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home